Sunday, April 15, 2007

 

Back from Scotland



Well it's back to reality after a magical trip. Scotland was amazing and now I realize I have seen the whole of the United Kingdom. Well, been to every country anyway.

Our tour guide to and from the isle of Skye was amazing. She was such a good storyteller and her love for her country was inspiring. It made me want to explore Saskatchewan!

She was also able to make history come alive! Her description of the battle of Culloden in 1746 was so interesting. It explains why Scotland is the way it is now.

After Scotland lost the battle a series of laws were put in place which were to deteriorate the highlanders culture. She explained that these laws destroyed the clan system. They were no longer able to gather in large groups, they were disarmed, their land was taken away, the kilt and the tartan were banned and the chiefs were no longer able to have power over the clan.

Our guide said there was lots of immigration after these laws were put in place. I felt really sorry for the highlanders after her description but I also couldn't help but think that a lot of these Scottish immigrants would just repeat history and implement similar laws on the native people of Canada.

I have renewed energy after this trip and I wish I had time to go to the library and read some historical novels that a girl on the trip recommended. Unfortunately, I have soooo much work to do. I am very happy we went to Scotland but I am left in a bit of a tight position. I took on a job for the next three days leading secondary students in some games in french. So, it's going to be a busy week.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?