Wednesday, March 21, 2007

 

Everybody has a story


I am having a very interesting week.

I applied for a BBC class on digital storytelling before Christmas so ten of us from my programme have been set free from our usual classes and immersed in a very digital world for a whole week.

One of the best things about it is that all of the stories are being done on macs just like mine. I get to use my own comp and  I am learning a lot about the features of the computer and how to best use all the software. How handy!

It started out quite stressful, having to write a script the first evening that would be our final script. I was up quite late worried and unsatisfied on Monday night. However, I woke up early Tuesday morning and finished it. I made a few edits with one of the six teachers that are looking after the ten of us and off I was in the studio recording my voice.

My story is about my Gran. I was really happy to have a VHS video filled with old 8mm footage of her and my family and thought I was all ready to make the story. Unfortunately and fortunately I learned a lot about NTSC (as the joke goes: Never The Same Colour) this week and PAL. NTSC is the video standard used in North America and most of South America. In NTSC, 30 frames are transmitted each second. PAL is the standard mostly used here in the UK. In PAL, 25 frames are transmitted each second.

Anyway, we had a lot of trouble capturing my video. We did manage to capture a bit in black and white (the colour just would not come through) before the VCR ate my tape twice. Anyway, my tape can be repaired but the instructor folks told me to maybe think of a plan B for images. So...at least I have some black and white video and I will mix it up with the photos I have.

I will try and post the finished product on my blog at the end of the week.

It has been a lot of fun and I am getting more and more inspired by storytelling, citizen media and digital media. It brings together a lot of my passions.

Comments:
Hi there, it sounds like you are learning alot, and getting challenged in many good ways! Write on!

Ken and Diane
 
Very Kool!!! What a great picture of my Mum ... where did u get it?
Andrew
 
I just freeze framed the footage
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?