Friday, December 01, 2006

 


It's World's AIDS day today and on one website I looked at it said one thing we can do is talk about it. I suppose a good time to talk about it would be when the hype of AIDS week dies down but unfortunately I don't think about AIDS that often so I wouldn't remember to post a blog about it then.

When I was in elementary school one of my school friend's dad had it. She stayed at our house for a while, when her dad was dying. I remember going to pick her up with my mom at her dad's house but he couldn't come to the door because he was too ill and couldn't get off the toilet. I knew that if you were so sick you couldn't get off of the toilet, you must be in agony. I had had the flu before. I knew what that was like. How much worse must it have been?

He happened to be gay but I knew at that age that it was a disease that can infect anyone. I couldn't really imagine a parent dying at that age. Not that I can really imagine it that much better now. I don't think I completely realized what was actually going on.

I don't know that girl anymore because she went to live with her mom in Quebec. At least her dad had some treatment. Most of the 38.6 million people who have it now don't.

Comments:
Thank you for writing this Nicole. I had not thought about Paul for a long time. Hearing you descibe this from the perspective of a child which you were at the time, really touched me. Paul did have care but unfortunately he died before the advent of the more modern drugs which can now be very effective in combatting AIDS.
Love,
Maman
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?